Lifeways counselors work to establish trust and rapport with students by creating a balance between understanding and compassion with the importance of including accountability. The ability to be nonjudgmental and not take ourselves too seriously is important. The importance of empathy is essential and can determine success or failure of making positive connections. Experiential learning helps students apply knowledge to their daily life. Lifeways also works to bridge students to opportunities which create insight, self-awareness, personal growth and practice skills for a successful life.
Ways we promote Connections
- Peer to Peer groups and activities connecting with students in middle school and as they progress through high school
- Individual and group education
- Intervention Programs after school
- Trauma counseling with student and family (SITCAP Certified Trauma Practitioners)
- Referral and assistance to "bridge" the gap from the school to the community for needed treatment, mental health counseling, or other services
- In school support for recovery